Freshmen Fall Into Sports

Opportunities abound for ninth graders

Elanie Prater

JV-B soccer girls out for a run.

Elanie Prater, Staff Writer

Beginning freshman year of high school is difficult enough, but add to it the transition to high school sports and you have an overwhelming combination. However, every year countless students try out for the numerous athletic opportunities Northmont provides for its freshmen.

The soccer program has three teams, for both girls and boys, including a JV-B team which gives nearly 36 freshmen a chance to play.

“This team (JV-B) is almost an all-freshman team, so this is going to be a tough season. At every practice and every game I get better and better,” said freshman Andy Nguy who plays for the JV-B soccer team.

The football program also has three teams, which includes a ninth grade team which gives almost 50 freshmen a chance to play.

“We are 1-1 this year, so I think we will do good because we have lots of talent,” said freshman Logan Kincer, who plays center for the freshman football team.

For the first time ever, the volleyball program has 3 teams this year, which includes an all-freshman team.

“We have been doing pretty good. We have had some off games but other than that we are doing well. I personally am looking forward to senior night and GWOC. GWOC is right around the corner and I look forward to facing the teams again and getting another chance to play them,” said freshman Anna Mangen, who plays for the JV-A volleyball team.

Even though there isn’t an all-freshman team, ninth graders can also join the cross country, tennis, and golf teams.

“We are looking forward to districts because we are really close to making it and if we make it, we could possibly go to regionals,” said freshman Jordan Rife who runs for the cross country team.

With options to play almost every sport, the freshmen have made the athletic program at Northmont even stronger.