Homecoming in Vegas

Students Partied in Style at Homecoming 2014: Viva Las Vegas

Class of 2015 Representatives, including the 2015 Queen and King

Mary McKinney, Life and Opinion Editor

Homecoming Week kept students busy, from Spirit Week and powderpuff to the staff-student volleyball games and the Vegas-themed dance.

Spirit Week kicked things off with a pajama day, a throwback day, and a fancy day. As usual, there were complaints from the student body about the themes.

“We had a summer meeting to choose the themes,” said senior Tori Amos, who is the Student Government Secretary. “When only six people show up, that’s who chooses the themes.”

The seniors beat the the juniors in the annual Powder Puff game, 18-13.

“It was fun, stressful, and scary because I thought I might die,” said junior Ashtyn Crabtree at Powder Puff who was a member of the losing class.

The Class of 2015 also won as juniors last year and will graduate undefeated.

“I had a lot of fun playing in the game,” said senior Clarissa Rockey.

However, in the annual staff versus students volleyball games, the staff went undefeated.

“People got in my way and I couldn’t hit the ball,” said senior Kailyn Koenitzer, to explain the seniors’ loss to the staff in the first game.

At the homecoming parade and bonfire, there was a good turn out with several clubs walking in the parade, even though there was one minor hiccup with a breakdown of one of the trucks.

The football team beat Bevercreek 41-28 on Friday night as the students’ section was packed with students decked out in pink for Breast Cancer Awareness.

“Anyone had the chance to win king and queen, and I didn’t expect it. It was a good feeling and it’s something you’ll never forget,” said senior Sean Murphy who was crowned king Friday night, along with Rebecca Krizner, who was crowned queen.

To finish off the week, students attended the homecoming dance Saturday night in the high school gymnasium. The Homecoming Committee did an amazing job with decorations to pull off the Viva Las Vegas theme, which included giant playing cards on the walls and a huge balloon arch in the middle. Students hit the dance floor as the DJ played a variety of music including everyone’s favorite, Cupid Shuffle. Along with photos from Easterling, there was a photo “booth” to take silly pictures with friends.

Even if students never make it to Vegas, they still experienced the atmosphere here at Northmont.