No Treat For Teens

Communities Ban Teens from Halloween

Sophomores Logan Jacobs, Kaylee Wood, Sierra Caskey, and Kody Barnett dress up for Halloween.

Maddie Harris, Staff Writer

For some teens, participating in Halloween’s trick-or-treating might not be an option, as some communities put more restrictions on the activity. One of these communities is in Bathurst, Canada. According to the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, deputy mayor Kim Chamberlain, of the New Brunswick community banned teens over the age of 16 from trick-or-treating and put a 7 pm curfew in place.

I wanted to demolish it altogether but I got outvoted,” said Chamberlain in an interview with CBC News.

In Bathurst, anyone who is caught older than 16 or past curfew will be fined $200. Some thought it was unfair to put age restrictions on the holiday and other thought it would keep “troublemakers” off the street. Chamberlain was please to be able to at least “make some modification.”

For residents in the Miami Valley, teens do not currently have to worry about getting fined if they want to take part in Beggars Night.

“Teens should be able to celebrate the holiday if they want,” said sophomore Riley Zaleski. “I know I’m going to.”

However, some students at Northmont High School think that the bylaw isn’t that bad of an idea.

“Trick-or-treating is supposed to be something for younger kids to look forward to every year. Older kids just ruin their fun,” said sophomore Bryce Asher.

Most communities in the Dayton area will have trick-or-treating from 6-8 pm on Halloween.