U-Korner: American Exams

Sia Skoryk’s Take on Mid-Terms

Foreign Exchange student Sia Skoryk tackles American mid-terms.

Anastasiia Skoryk, Guest Columnist

After winter break, children usually start new semester and get excited about everything new. One week left after winter break and then… exams.  As we know freshmen always get excited about this more than other students. But what about exchange students?

In Ukraine, students do not have exams. At the end of the semester, students usually make something like a general test before winter break. Usually students have small tests after each topic and final test once in the semester. But final tests are worth a lot in Ukraine. It is the biggest part of final grade. In Germany, students don’t have semester exams, but like in the Ukrainian they have final exams before graduating from high school. Your grades from exams will tell what will you do in the nearest future: go to the college or start to work in particular area.

But here, in the United States everything is different.

“Teachers give you a fair chance to pass exams,” said Franzi Schutze, who is an exchange student from Germany at Northmont this year.

Let’s just say that study guides were helpful and if you have motivation to pass an exam you can do it.

The easiest way to prepare for exams  is make sure that you know what is going on in classes every day and then it should be enough to pass the finals. At least it would be easier to prepare for tests.