District Tightens Belt

Northmont Makes Budget Cuts for 2015-2016

New construction continues at the high school, as budget cuts are made throughout the district.

Mary McKinney, Life and Opinion Editor

Northmont Superintendent Dr. Sarah Zatik told the Dayton Daily News that in the 2015-16 school year there would be $500,000 in budget cuts throughout the district.

The district will be spending less money so they do not have to ask residents for “new” money until the 2016 ballot.

“Because of the past two property evaluations, the district has lost 1.5 million dollars in revenue, which is money we will not get back.  We have to make up that 1.5 million dollars somewhere,” said Zatik.

Next year, slight changes will be made to all department budgets and the building principals’ budgets will also have changes made.

“I am not happy about it, but I understand it. A lot of people have given our district money so we have to show them that we are financially responsible,” said principal George Caras.

The district currently has money which has been generated through renewal levies. The idea of renewal levies is to renew what money the district has to keep from asking for more money from the residents.

It has been six years since the last time the district asked for new money.

The budget cuts will come from minor things that will not affect students’ day-to-day routine.