Cornhole is Life

Spanish Classes Raise Money for Water is Life Charity

Junior Ashley Trottier plays with a broken arm to support the charity Water is Life; t-shirts are available for donors.

Emma Saltsman, Staff Writer

During the last few weeks of school, Spanish classes have been researching charities. Students were encouraged to find a charity that provided a Spanish-speaking country clean water to tie with the unit “Agua es Vida,” meaning “water is life.” The charity the students chose by vote is actually called Water is Life, with locations in California, Oklahoma, Arizona, Kenya, and Ghana.

Water is Life provides clean drinking water, sanitation and hygiene education programs to schools and villages in desperate need. Clean water with sanitation access is key to children’s survival, development and growth.

To raise money for this charity, a cornhole tournament was held from May 20-22 during all lunch periods.

“I think it’s awesome that we are working to help with the water problem in the world,” said junior Chris Chae. “I wanted to play corn-hole because I thought it would be fun, plus I could support ‘Water is Life.'”

Students enjoyed playing in the tournament, embracing the idea of helping poor countries by playing a fun game.

“Even though we didn’t win, it was a lot of fun,” said junior Ashley Trottier. “I thought the ‘Agua es Vida’ was a great idea to help other countries with no water and I would love to donate and play again.”

To make a donation, go to http://waterislife.com/. T-shirts are given to those who donate $20 or more and a water filter will be provided for a child in need.