Wake Up Call!

School Start Times Wreak Havoc on Students

Early start times take their toll on freshmen Cole Bridges and Drake Hickman in Ms. Sarah Gosser’s Spanish class.

Jazmine Bragg and Harley Johnson

As the new school year progresses, students become fully involved in the battle of waking up early.

The American Academy of Pediatrics says that middle and high school classes should not start any earlier than 8:30 a.m., which is 40 minutes later than the start time at Northmont High School. Some surrounding high schools start as early as 7:15 a.m.

“We go to school and work and we need sleep. Coming in maybe an hour [later] would help,” said senior Samantha Yirenkyi.

Amounts of homework and busy afterschool schedules affect students’ bedtimes as well.

“Sometimes I get enough sleep, just depends on how busy or how energized I am. On busy days, I don’t get enough sleep,” said freshman Hailey Burns.

However some students don’t think school should start later nor do they want it to, arguing that starting later would cause interference between sports and school. Others just want to come in early and get it over with.

“School should be the normal time to get it over with, then you have the rest of the night free,” said sophomore Lexi Williams.

Regardless of the reasons, teenagers remain the most sleep-deprived demographic. According to Start School Later, Inc., a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization dedicated to healthy, safe, equitable school hours, teenagers need between 8.5 and 9.25 hours of sleep per night, yet 2/3 of high school students get less than 7 hours per night.