For The Record

Blood Drive Sees Most Donors in History

Ms. Kathryn Abels, sophomore Christian Myers, Ms. Julie Marshall, sophomore Carson Wagner, senior Mallory Woods, and junior Matt Bridenbaugh were all involved with the 2016 Blood Drive (photo courtesy of Mark Pompilio, Community Blood Center).

Courtney Gibson, Staff Writer

With the most donors in history, Northmont High School hosted its annual Blood Drive on February 5 in the Bolts Gym. The Community Blood Center reported there was a total of 245 donors registered, which included 120 first-time donors.

“My favorite part about Blood Drive is working the day out and getting to see all of the donors come in,” said Blood Drive coordinator and donator senior John Bates, who spends most of the time leading up to the Blood Drive scheduling students.

The event also made history despite challenges.

“This year it was difficult to advertise in the new school since we can’t hang posters on the walls, but I think we all did a great job getting the word out and encouraging people to donate,” said Blood Drive Committee member sophomore Bethaney Latessa.

There were 23 students on the Blood Drive committee representing all grades in the building.

“I feel like [the Blood Drive] teaches me leadership skills and how to work under pressure,” said committee member sophomore Cecelia Stebel.

Because the Blood Drive begins during first period and is not concluded until seventh period, there is a significant disruption to the school day.

“There will be students coming in and out of classes all day depending on when they are scheduled to donate. There’s also the Blood Drive Committee [members] who are supposed to be working as much as they can. The day of the Blood Drive is always set months in advance, so I think teachers should plan around it,” said Latessa.

Despite the make-up work that results from missing class, record numbers still signed up to donate blood or serve on the committee.

“If I was a teacher, I wouldn’t mind planning a test or quiz on Blood Drive day because that is by far the easiest thing a student could make up, said Bates. ” I would not plan a project that needs to be presented or lab that has to be done in class because those are the most difficult to make up.”

Members of the Blood Drive Committee must present all of their teachers with an approval form, in order to miss class for the entire day.

“We plan the Blood Drive date for the next year soon after the Blood Drive ends, so it does get on the school calendar for planning purposes; however, I understand the time constraints teaching brings, so nothing ever works out perfectly,” said language arts teacher Ms. Kathryn Abels.

According to the Community Blood Center, blood is needed every two seconds. On February 5, Northmont High School students helped meet that need.