Back to Work

Students Leave School and Begin Working Summer Jobs

Sophomore Maddie Jaehnen holds flowers at Englewood Florist, her place of work for the summer.

Autumn Jenkins, Staff Writer

As summer approaches, students are preparing to relax, catch up on sleep, and go swimming at Melody Pool. Some are even getting ready to end their 2015-2016 school year and work through the summer.

“I will be working at Subway this summer. My parents had suggested the idea to me, but I had wanted to work there anyway,” said freshman Grace Borders.

Other students didn’t have to think twice about where their summer job would be.

“I’ll be working at Frye’s Soccer Shoppe. My dad and brother work there, so it was basically my second home growing up,” said freshman Katelyn Brown.

Some upperclassmen have been working during the school year, and are just continuing their job into the summer.

“I work at the Englewood Florist Shop. My neighbor suggested the job to me, and I had wanted to work anyways for money, [so it was a good fit],” said sophomore Maddie Jaehnen.

Upperclassmen with heavier coursework postponed work during the year, but will pick them up this summer.

“I began working at Burger King a while ago, but had to take a break due to stressful schoolwork. [I began working there again] about a month ago and will work there over the summer. I began working because I wanted to get an early start on saving for things like a car and Driver’s Ed,” said junior Megan Slaybaugh.

The beginning age for a first job is controversial, but many students agree that between 15 and 17 is a good time to start.

“Around 16 is a good age, because you should really be able to drive [to your job],” said Jaehnen.

Northmont students will be busy this summer at jobs all over the district. Keep your eyes open for these fellow students during summer vacation!