Halloween Is Here

The Story Behind October 31

Junior Sasha Spencer and junior Jayson Aguilar dress as Minnie Mouse and a calavera (a Day of the Dead costume) for Costume Day at the high school.

Lilly Wilt, Staff Writer

Halloween, also known as All Hallows Eve or Beggar’s Night, is celebrated each year on October 31. According to the History Channel, Halloween originated from the ancient Celtic festival of Samhain, where people would light bonfires and dress in costumes to scare off ghosts. This celebration happened in ancient Britain and Ireland. It marked the end of summer and the beginning of a new year on November 1. In the 8th century CE, the Roman catholic Church moved All Saints Sunday, a day celebrating the church’s saints, to November 1, causing All Hallows Eve to fall on October 31. These traditions were passed on to the U.S. when European colonists started settling in the New World.

Some students, like freshman Koalton Green, don’t celebrate Halloween. Reasons range from religion to creepiness.

Others, however, celebrate Halloween by trick-or-treating.

“My favorite part about Halloween is dressing up and scaring people,” said sophomore Alex Bennett. “You can never grow too old to go trick-or-treating.”

Orange and black are usually the colors associated with Halloween. The color orange symbolizes harvest and autumn. The color black represents death and darkness.