The Struggle Is Real

Students Experience Issues with Schedules

Sophomore Maddie Jaehnen stands in front of the counseling center confused and frustrated because she had to change her schedule twice.

Alexis Crawford, Staff Writer

At the beginning of the school year, the longest lines weren’t in the lunch room, but at the counseling center. Students crowded in the counseling office and hallways on the first day, flustered and stressed, for their final schedule.

“[I was] just frustrated because it took so long to change it,” said sophomore Chasity Smith, who wasn’t happy with the order her schedule was laid out.

Other times, the conflict rested in the fact that the classes had too many students.

“[The] classes were just full,” said sophomore Brianna Howard, who wasn’t pleased with the classes she originally wanted to take.

Students weren’t the only ones that faced scheduling conflicts. Teachers have had to deal with class sizes that vary greatly from period to period for the same subject.

“In my anatomy class I have 20 students in the morning and 30 in the afternoon,” said Ms. Kimberlee Leis, a science teacher who is new to Northmont this year.

With the drop and add period finally closing, students and teachers can finally get a feel for what the year has to offer, but it wasn’t without a struggle.