A Warren Welcome

Melissa Warren and Her Family Embrace Citizenship

After the official oath ceremony, senior Melissa Warren stands with her family in the courtroom.

Cassidy Hunter, Staff Writer

On October 29, while students were doing homework or shopping for Halloween costumes, senior Melissa Warren was becoming a citizen of the United States.

Warren, who was born in Argentina, where she and her family lived near the capital of Buenos Aires until she was twelve. They moved to the United States a little over five years ago, where everything was different, including the climate. Warren had never seen snow until she came to America.

“My parents applied 17 years ago when I was a baby, and then 9/11 happened and everything was up in the air,” said Warren. “My parents said it was like a 10-year pause.”

At the end of Warren’s sixth grade year, however, her parents told her they would be moving to the U.S. because they had restarted the process of applying for citizenship.

“It took a lot of time, patience, and money,” said Warren.

The family had a slight advantage because they had an aunt living in West Milton, who had immigrated to the U.S. from Malaysia 25 years prior. Warren’s family was able to stay with her aunt during the whole process.

image
Warren’s parents, Carlos and Carolyn.

Warren and her family went through a multitude of interviews in both Argentina and America. The interviews included questioning, testing, shots, finger printing, and the worst of all: waiting. To become a citizen, a person has to have lived in the United States for at least five years.

image
Warren takes a selfie with her parents in the courtroom as the family waits to be called to review papers.

“We applied for the citizenship after 5 years instead of renewing our green cards.” said Warren.

A total of 50 people became citizens at the the oath ceremony, with 25 countries being represented.

“I think it’s a pretty honorable thing, and it’s a good feeling,” said Warren.

Warren is excited about the privileges now granted her by being a citizen, such as being able to vote and serve on a jury.