Get to Work

Teens Enter the Work Force

Sophomore+Jordan+OShea+prepares+for+her+job+at+McDonalds.+

Sophomore Jordan O’Shea prepares for her job at McDonalds.

Andrea Rediess, Staff Writer

Among teenagers, there is an 18.1% unemployment rate in 2017 (CNN News).  These rates have dropped since previous years. In 2014, 44% of teenagers were unemployed, while 14 years earlier in 2000, 62.6% of teenagers were unemployed (USA Today).

Teens between the ages of 14 and 15 may work, but there are restrictions which involve length of shifts and dangerous occupations.  According to the Department of Labor, teenagers between 14 and 15 years old can only work 18 hours in a school week, and 40 hours in a non-school week; they also can only work to 7 p.m. There is an exception that runs from June 1 through Labor Day, when they can work until 9 p.m. 

Sophomore Evelyn Shade believes a high school job is a good way to help with social skills. Shade is 16 years old and currently seeking a job.

For high school students to get a job during the school year, the student must get a minor work permit. An application for a minor work permit can be picked up from Ms. Trudie Fisher in the main office. The application must be filled out by the minor who is applying, the employer, and a physician.

The applying minor must fill out basic information. The employer must fill out the nature of the employment, the days in a week the minor would be working, and hours per day. The physician must fill out a simple physical to state the minor is in good enough health to work.

Many places hire teens at the age of 16, such as: Mod Pizza, Subway, Dominos, Kroger, McDonalds, Wendys, and Burger King.