Silence With a Purpose

Students Participate in Day of Silence

GSA distributed a flier explaining Day of Silence to participants.

Harley Johnson, Assistant Editor

The Gay Straight Alliance (GSA) participated in Day of Silence on Friday, April 21.

“Day of Silence is an internationally recognized effort by Gay, Lesbian, and Straight Education Network (GLSEN) to call attention to harassment of gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender students,” said Ms. Briana Butler, GSA adviser.

LGBTQ+ harassment is becoming a problem.

“According to the National Youth Association (NYA): 9 of 10 LGBTQ+ students experience harassment regularly at school. LGBTQ+ teens are bullied 2-3 times as much as straight teens. And over 1/3 of LGBTQ+ kids have attempted suicide,” said Bultler. “LGBTQ+ teens are 4 times as likely to attempt than their straight peers.”

Students participate by wearing duct tape on their mouths and not speaking. Students and staff can show support by wearing purple, rainbow, or “ally” stickers. There were also flyers around the school with selfies of staff and students who are supportive.

“Participants in Day of Silence refrain from speaking throughout the day, as a form of nonviolent protest against verbal harassment, name-calling, and bullying,” said Butler. ” Encourage Day of Silence participants to use alternative methods of participation: writing on whiteboards or notepads is the most common form of communication.”

The Day of Silence was not an excuse for students to avoid participation in classes.

The Day of Silence is important to the LGBTQ+ community because it spreads awareness about bullying and harassment of the LGBTQ+ community.

“A lot of times LGBTQ+ clubs get ignored at schools and it’s important to show that [non-LGBTQ+ community] are allied with them,” said senior Jayci Lawson, GSA member. “[Day of Silence] is just kind of the day LGBTQ+ [can] be heard.”

Northmont GSA has been participating in Day of Silence for at least 4 years.