Teen Vape Rates on the Rise

The High School Vape Epidemic Continues To Spread Across the Nation

A juul pen for smoking juul pods, an alternative way to smoke cigarettes.

Katherine Conner, Junior Staff Writer

High schools students around the world are smoking e-cigarettes, a handheld battery-powered vaporizer. Over the years, teens have began to smoke electronic cigarettes instead of smoking normal cigarettes. So, the FDA has decided to put a ban on flavored e-cigarettes in an effort to try and stop the vaping epidemic.

According to the National Institute for Drug Abuse, around 66 percent of teens believe that flavoring is the only thing in e-cigarettes while 13.2 percent of teens believe that there is nicotine in e-cigarettes.  Nationally, the number of teens that say they vape on a regular basis has rose from 1.5 million teens in 2011 to 11.7 million teens in 2017. According to a study at Northmont High School, around 66-67 percent of high school students have never vaped. (According to Ms. Sheree Coffman)

“I think teens vape because their friends are vaping so they feel that it’s acceptable to vape. When teens vape for the first time, they feel a nicotine buzz and the flavor of the Juul tastes good,”said Coffman. “ A nicotine addiction is like quicksand. When you first start vaping, the nicotine buzz feels nice and you sink deeper and deeper and it’s not until you try to get out when you realize how deep you are.”

According to an article posted by Fox News, a teen from Texas, who began vaping, tried to stop and is now on life support. Six people have died due to vape-related illnesses. With or without nicotine, e-cigarette  vapor increases inflammation and disables cells that protect lung tissue. Harming these vital cells makes them vulnerable to dust, bacteria, and allergens that might lead to an incurable illness.(HealthlineVaping is detrimental to teens’ health and can cause many deadly diseases. People are urging any teens who are considering vaping to do research before they pick up a Juul or some other kind of e-cigarette.