New Trend For Schools In America?

Massive Change Will Hit California Schools

Sean Nickol, Staff Writer

On Sunday, October 13th, the Governor of California, Gavin Newsom, passed a new law that allows students to get more sleep and delay school start times. Schools in California are no longer allowed to start before 8 AM, high schools no longer to start before 8:30 as middle schools may start at 8AM. The new law will let schools start around 8:30 or later in the morning. 

The schools must obey the new law by July 1, 2022. Anthony Portantino, State Senator, wrote the law. The Senate says, Bill 328 is based on “indisputable” science that bases kids are happier and healthier when they get more sleep. “This is a public health bill that has a positive academic outcome,” Portantino told Sacbee.com. “The overwhelming benefit to the health and welfare of children demands that we make those changes.”

Recommended by the American Academy of Sleep Medicine, sleeping more than 9 hours per night on a regular basis may be appropriate for young adults, individuals recovering from sleep debt, and individuals with illnesses. Their 2016 research adds that lack of sleep is related to an increase in accidents, injuries, obesity, diabetes, depression, or suicidal thoughts. The American Academy of Pediatrics’ research in 2014 proves that delayed start times help academic performance, decrease physical and mental health problems, and decrease risk of automobile accidents.

Senator Portanitno said arguments against the new law were based on adult criticisms, that is it will negatively affect working class families and strip them away from their local control. Portantino argues, “Productivity goes up, because suspensions go down. Disruptive behavior goes down, tardies go down, violent behavior goes down. What it comes down to is a reluctance for adults to change.”

Medical groups back the bill but several school districts California Teachers Association disagree with the new law. The association called SB 328 unnecessary because it said the legislation targeted communities already have the opportunities of delaying their start times. 

“Adolescents function better with more sleep, but we don’t believe that starting school later is the only path forward,” legislative advocate for the association, Seth Bramble wrote to lawmakers of September 4. An estimated tens of millions of one time general fund dollars is expected to go toward the rescheduling of of busses and hiring new drivers.