To Honor or Not to Honor

Honor Society is Appealing, but the Ceremony is Not

Sophomores Justin Schuh and Ryan Loveless received their letter awards at the Northmont honor society induction on December 2.

Emma Saltsman, Staff Writer

A ceremony inducting students into the Northmont Honor Society was held for all students with a grade point average of 3.2 or higher, on Tuesday, December 2. Sophomores, juniors, and seniors were invited to attend with their families. However, only 194 students attended of the 362 which were invited.

Northmont administration deems Honor Society as an “honor,” but why don’t students?

“I think Honor Society isn’t a bad idea, however it would be productive to just have a couple people speak and don’t drag the orchestra out,” said sophomore Kara Combs, who attended her first honor society induction on December 2. “I believe we need different ‘awards’ because not everyone has a special letterman jacket.”

The ceremony consisted of every student invited earning a letter for their “varsity jacket”and a pin called The Lamp of Knowledge.

“I felt like it [the ceremony] was pointless,” sophomore Justin Schuh said. “It did recognize the students who had good grades, but they didn’t need to make it as long as they did. They could have went over the announcements and read off all the names and given the letters to our first period teacher.”

This contributes to the fact that less than half of the students invited chose to attend this year.

“I think it’s counter-productive to have a big awards ceremony for all the super studious kids,” said junior Emma Bernardi. “Nobody wants to go because they have homework to do! That’s why I didn’t go.”

A majority of the students interviewed agreed Honor Society status is desirable for college applications, resumes, and scholarships, but the ceremony itself, because of the way it is structured, is not worth attending.