Michigan State University Shooting

Three Killed, five Wounded in School Shooting

Joshua Murphy, Co-editor

Late on Sunday February 12, to early Monday February 13, 2023, three students were killed in a shooting at Michigan State University. The shooter was identified as Anthony Dwayne McRae, who is now deceased.

According to NBC News, Alexandria Verner ,Arielle Anderson and Brian Fraser , the three victims, were all from Detroit, Michigan. Anthony Dwayne McRae (43) killed Verner, Anderson, and Fraser and also wounded five others. McRae shot himself before he could be taken into custodyMotive for the shooting had not been found at the time this article was written. However, a neighbor, Megan Bender, said to the police, “He was firing a firearm out of the back door of the house into the yard. We’re right in the city. You shouldn’t be firing a firearm in the middle of the city.” 

According to CBS, Fraser was a sophomore and was from Grosse Pointe, Michigan; Anderson was also from Grosse Pointe, and Verner was a junior from Clawson.

Brian Fraser (ABC News)

Fraser was the president  of Phi Delta Theta MSU Chapter. When the news came out about his death, Phi Delta Theta wrote, “As the leader of his chapter, Brian was a great friend to his Phi Delta brothers, the Greek community at Michigan State, and those he interacted with on campus.” The statement further read, “Phi Delta Theta sends its deepest condolences to the Fraser family, the Michigan Beta Chapter, and all those who loved Brian as they mourn their loss.” 

Verner’s high

school superintendent described her as a “tremendous student, athlete, leader and exemplified kindness every day of her life.”

Alexandria Verner (Detroit Free Press)

Anderson’s grandmother, April Davis, described her as “kind, loving, caring, compassionate, driven… and very family oriented.”

Arielle Anderson (Detroit Free Press)

We do not have names for the five people who were wounded. As this is looked into, more info will come out.