Over 2,000 Walmart Warehouse Workers Now Laid Off

These Walmart Cuts Are Happening In New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Florida, And Texas Warehouses.

Walmart+Building.

Walmart Building.

Jae'Da Jennings, Student Writer

Walmart is a very famous retail corporation that has been around since July 2, 1962 in Rogers Arkansas. “Founded in 1962 by Sam Walton, Walmart Inc., the world’s most profitable retail outlet for many years, also became the largest employer in the United States, with more than one million employees (called “associates”) and thousands of stores worldwide.” says Brent E. Riffel, January 25, 2023 encyclopediaofarkansas.net. Back then, unemployment at Walmart was never really a topic of discussion because business was booming and they wanted as much help as they could get. But now Walmart companies are laying off workers for the upcoming year, regarding their business and in some way better preparing for customers future needs.

Texas Walmart Warehouse.

The Walmart company’s decision was not an easy one, of course, because this decision is putting people who work at Walmart full time at risk of unemployment. To be exact on how many jobs are actually being lost throughout America; “The retail giant is cutting more than 1,000 jobs in Texas, 600 jobs in Pennsylvania, 400 in Florida and 200 in New Jersey, according to Worker Adjustment Retraining Notification (WARN) filings.” says Jordan Valinsky, April 4, 2023 cnn.com. It’s also not just Walmart laying people off; many people at Amazon have been getting laid off and at least 27,000 layoffs have happened so far. Walmart’s company is expecting lower numbers in sales this upcoming year so they are reducing their workforce so they don’t have to pay a lot of their employees while also struggling to even sell products. 

What really fueled this struggle to sell goods at Walmart was Covid-19, that’s what started it all. Walmart is slowly trying to make its way back to where the sales were before Covid happened and everything went online.”The layoffs are part of a nationwide series of cutbacks and consolidations Walmart is making as the economy recovers.” says WBAP News, April 3rd, 2023 wbap.com. Hopefully with time Walmart can get back on track, and slowly start hiring back all the workers they let go of or just hiring new people in general.