The student news site of Northmont High School

The Thunder

The Thunder

The Thunder

Thank you Sponsors!
CAFE 19
Search this site:

A Police Chief’s Son Shot Two Police Officers During a Stolen Car Investigation in La Vergne Tennessee.

In La Vergne, a suburb of Nashville Tennessee, on September 21st, John Drake Jr. shot at two police officers leaving both injured at the scene of a stolen car.

Two La Vergne police officers were called to the scene of a stolen car in Nashville, Tennessee where they made contact with the suspect John Drake Jr. An altercation took place and left the police officers injured and the suspect being on the run. 

According to Andy Rose and Michelle Watson at CNN, Officer Ashely Boleyjack and Officer Gregory Kern were injured in the shooting, city of La Vergne spokesperson Anne Smith said Monday. They were taken to Vanderbilt University Medical Center. Boleyjack was released on Saturday while “Officer Kern was kept overnight for observation and is in stable condition,” said Smith.

Following the incident, The Tennessee Bureau of Investigation, who puts out blue alerts, described the suspect John Drake Jr. as 5 feet, 11 inches tall, weighing 195 pounds.

Photo from CNN

In an effort to catch the fugitive, authorities put out a $2,500 reward for any information that could lead to his arrest.

Continuing the investigation police got a lead of his last known destination on September 24th. He was spotted when stealing a car from a couple at gunpoint after they refused to give him a ride. 

Once he had the car, he led police on a pursuit in downtown Nashville. The car crashed and he fled to a shed by a nearby house.  

According to Chris Boyette and Christine Sever at CNN, “While the officers were surrounding the residence to contain the shed, a gunshot was heard and it appears that he has died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound,” Aaron said.”

The La Vergne community now rests in peace knowing the immediate danger is gone.