Lawyer Up

Mock Trial Team Wins Districts

Junior Gracie Fink stands with seniors Erin Brown, Tori Amos, and Richie Bullard at their Mock Trial competition.

Enzo Libertini, News and Entertainment Editor

The Mock Trial team won districts on January 30. Out of the many students who participated in the trial three were recognized with individual awards. Seniors Tori Amos and  Nick Latessa were awarded best attorneys while senior Erin Brown won best witness.

“I won best attorney last year and the year before. I don’t get concerned with the individual awards, my main goal was to win the trial,” said Latessa, who was successful in both of those endeavors.

Senior Tori Amos also took home an award for best attorney.

“It’s always kind of a goal to have it on your side of the court,” said Amos.

Regardless of all the success, being a part of Mock Trial brings the students together.

“My favorite part of competition is waiting for the results. We all fill up one of the benches and get all squished together, then we all hold hands until the results are announced,” said Amos.

Alongside these attorneys is a team of students who can be anything from a witness to a timekeeper. One of these students, senior Virpal Cheema, just participated in his first district competition with the team.

“It was my first year being a part of the team, and it was a great learning experience,” said Cheema.

Senior witness Richie Bullard also participated for the first time this year.

“We all showed up,” said Bullard. “They had a lot of tough questions, but I think I did a good job answering them. I love giving smart witty responses my opponents don’t know how to respond to.”

Unfortunately the team did not win their trial at regionals, but they did perform strongly and ended their season on a very impressive note.