Hallway to Broadway

Northmont HS Alum Jamard Richardson Stars in Off-Broadway Production

Jaylin Paschal

Broadway actor Jamard Richardson poses with his former classmate (and now a Language Arts teacher) Mr. Ranger Puterbaugh and choir director Mr. Mark Barnhill.

Jaylin Paschal, Editor-in-Chief

Former Northmont High School student, Jamard “Jay” Richardson performed in The Book of Mormon, an off-Broadway, second stage production, at the Schuster Center in August.

Richardson spoke with current Northmont Encore members on August 20 to share his experiences with the group, offer some advice, and give some insider information on the entertainment industry.

“(My favorite thing about the industry is) the people. That’s also my sometimes my least favorite thing,” said Richardson. “It’s all about the connections, the friendships, the camaraderie. This is fun because of the relationships you build.”

Richardson has been musically involved since his freshman year of high school in 2005. He was a member of the band and choir before venturing on to theatre. Choir director Mr. Mark Barnhill is responsible for his start on stage.

“Barnhill threatened to flunk me if I didn’t audition for this musical,” said Richardson.

Richardson and Barnhill joked back and forth before Richardson expressed appreciation for his former choir director.

“He’s like my manager without even knowing it,” said Richardson.

Barnhill encouraged Richardson to get involved with many projects, including the first high school edition of  Hairspray, which involved a cast from all over the country.

Richardson’s early experience and hard work has been met with success, inspiring Encore members to keep reaching towards their goals.

“Follow your dreams. Realize that it’s hard work, but it’s all worth it,” said Richardson.

Richardson will continue to inspire others on and off the stage.