Hoco 2K16

Students Prepare for Island Getaway

Sophomore Sophia Reser shops for a homecoming dress.

Autumn Jenkins, Editor-in-Chief

As September comes to a close, students prepare for the first school dance of the year: Homecoming. The dance will take place on Saturday, October 8, and tickets will be sold the week prior.

“I’ll be going to homecoming with a friend. [Before homecoming] I’ll be getting ready and eating. [After the dance] I’ll be going to a friend’s house,” said junior Aubrey Kosak.

Others don’t know their exact plans, however they know they want to go.

“I’m going with my girlfriend, [but I] don’t have any plans yet,” said freshman Nick Henderson.

Some students have ideas for change.

“The tickets should cost $7 because $10 feels like a lot,” said freshman Riley Zaleski. “I’m going with a friend but have no clue what we’re doing. I plan on having fun and eating food.”

Besides the dance, Northmont students look forward to the week of exciting school activities, like the Powder Puff football game.

“Students can look forward to the fun, exciting, and tradition of Powder Puff football,” said marketing teacher Mr. Eric Wagner.

The game is held Wednesday, October 5 at 7:00 p.m. at the football stadium. About 80 students in each grade are participating. Wagner encourages students of all grades to come out and support the the game, and he thanks students for the continued support of DECA.

Other activities include the homecoming parade, followed by the bonfire.

The bonfire will take place after the parade on Thursday, October 6 at Centennial Park, according to mathematics teacher Ms. Julie Marshall.

There is a home football game on Friday, October 7, and then the dance will take place on Saturday, October 8.

The dance will take place at NHS in the Thunderdome, from 8:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m. There will be dancing, eating (pretzels, chips, lemonade), and pictures with a photographer, as well as photo booth props.

Including the events outside of school, there are also events taking place at school during the homecoming week. The days of spirit week were sent to all Northmont students via email. The spirit days include:

Monday, October 3: PJ Day

Tuesday, October 4: Superhero Day

Wednesday, October 5: Jersey Day

Thursday, October 6: Class Color Day (Seniors – Black, Juniors – Blue, Sophomores – Lime Green, Freshmen – Red)

Friday, October 7: Northmont Spirit Day

According to Marshall, on Tuesday there will be a photo booth, with props, sponsored by Student Government, for those who dress up in superhero gear.

Seniors began planning the dance at the beginning of the 2016-2017 school year as a class project.