Paying It Forward

Freshmen Spread Kindness in the Community

The inspirational “Butterfly Board” in Ms. Chesley Booth’s classroom

Taylor Shively, Staff Writer

Some freshman Language Arts teachers have introduced a new yearlong project for students, which promotes one thing: kindness.

Language Arts teachers Ms. Chesley Booth and Ms. Missy McMonigle came up with the idea after reading the story “A Sound Of Thunder” by Ray Bradbury with their students. The project requires students to preform 5 acts of kindness every quarter. Once they do an act of kindness, they have to take a picture and write about it. Many parents have been acknowledging this assignment, calling it “inspiring” and “phenomenal.” The students also watched the movie “Pay It Forward,” which showed such acts of kindness in action.

“This project allows me to help people every day within the community,” said freshman Emily Knecht.

The project has introduced students to a myriad of ways to help in the community.

“I have learned a lot about myself during this project,” said freshman Haley Kirby. “I know now that I can help in more ways than I thought.”

The Butterfly Effect theory is like a chain reaction, as one action can lead to more. This idea relates to the pay it forward movement because if one person does an act of kindness for someone, and that someone does an act of kindness for someone else, it spreads kindness throughout the world.

“This project makes me feel special,” said freshman Samantha Doughty. “I feel like I am really helping people.”

The project even has a Twitter page, @bflyeffectnhs, run by Booth. She posts students photos of their acts of kindness, videos, and inspirational quotes.

“The acts of kindness make me feel great! It makes me happy that I could be a part of something that could make someones day and possibly change their lives,” said freshman Madison Blessing. “No matter how small an act of kindness is, it could still leave a huge impact on the world!”

The project has become inclusive of parents, grandparents, and faculty.