Español Movie Night

Spanish Club sees Disney Pixar’s “Coco”

Spanish Club and Ms. Sarah Gosser sees Disney Pixar’s “Coco.”

Harley Johnson, Editor-in-Chief

On Wednesday, December 6, Spanish Club saw Disney Pixar’s “Coco.” The film is about Día de los Muertos (Day of the Dead). Day of the Dead is a Mexican celebration to remember and honor loved ones who have died (mexicansugarskull.com).

“‘Coco’ is the first movie made by a fully Hispanic cast and its the first Disney film created on the theme of Día de los Muertos,” said Ms. Sarah Gosser, Spanish Club advisor. “Spanish Club is always looking for opportunities to expand our Spanish-speaking horizons.”

“Coco” is not just Spanish Club. Gosser’s Spanish classes were offered extra credit if they came.

“All students are always welcome. Families, too. I love seeing parents sharing in the interests of their children and expanding their world view,” said Gosser. “Any incentive to learn is an incentive. Students also like extra credit, I heard.”

Gosser said the movie “Coco” was focused on a very familiar subject that is studied very in-depth at Northmont. She was also excited to see Hispanic culture featured in a Disney film.

Spanish classes have also traveled to see “33,” a movie about the 2010 Chile disaster where a goldmine collapsed, trapping 33 men underground for 69 days (imdb.com).

“[The film] ’33’ was an unfamiliar story to me. I greatly enjoyed learning about Chilean culture,” said Gosser. “We will continue to go see Spanish and Hispanic themed films whenever the opportunity arises. I’m already excited for ‘Ferdinand the Bull.'”

Nearly 20 students attended Rave Cinemas in Huber Heights to see “Coco.”