Flu Season is Here

How to Prevent Catching the Flu

Freshman Skyler Couchot blows his nose, hoping he has the common cold and not influenza.

Lilly Wilt, Staff Writer

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention influenza, commonly known as the flu, is “a contagious respiratory illness caused by influenza viruses that infect the nose, throat, and sometimes to the lungs. It can cause mild to severe illness, and at times can lead to death.”

To some, a common cold and influenza seem alike, but they have different symptoms. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services says that common signs of a cold are a runny or stuffy nose. The common signs of the flu are:

• A fever
  • Sore throat
  • Hacking cough
  • Runny or stuffy nose
  • Muscle or body aches
  • Headaches
  • Tiredness
  • Young children will sometimes have diarrhea and/or vomiting.

Keep in mind that the symptoms of the flu are more severe than the symptoms of a cold. If a person feels these symptoms, it is best to go to a doctor to get properly diagnosed.

According to CDC, the best way to prevent the flu is to get a flu shot. Other ways to prevent the flu is to get a good night’s sleep, exercise, drink plenty of water, and to wash your hands thoroughly, especially after sneezing and blowing your nose.

CNN claims that this year’s flu season is the worst in recent years. So far, 30 children have died from the flu in 2018.