Touchdown at the Library

Northmont Football Visits Local Library for Community Event

Elementary students and members of the Northmont football team participate in a Pre-Super Bowl Party at the Northmont branch of the Dayton Metro Library.

D.J. Hudson, Assistant Editor-in-Chief

On January 31, members of the Northmont football team visited the Northmont branch of the Dayton Metro Library. Junior players Nick Moore, Jimi Saul, Prince Benson, Steven Schrodi, and D.J. Hudson helped the library with their pre-Super Bowl party.

“We went down to the library and threw the football around with the kids and did a word search and did some football trivia. Overall we had a great time and I think they really enjoyed it,” said Moore, a three-year member of the varsity team.

The experience was beneficial to not only the kids but also the players.

“It was nice to act like we were in first and second grade again and just play, color, and eat snacks with the kids. I think both the kids and parents had a great time. I could tell just by being there that the parents were excited to see high school students doing this,” said Saul, who is a linebacker for the Bolts, who has been playing football since the first grade.

The opportunity to combine football with community service was very appealing to many of the players.

“This is the first time I’ve really been able to help out with kids, but I have done other types of community service like I’ve picked up trash and some other stuff,” said Benson, who started as a defensive lineman this year.

More plans to do community service are in the works

“Coming up sometime soon we are going to have a food drive and we are just trying to give back anyway we can,” said Schrodi, a two-year starter for the Bolts.

The football team is committed to showing excellence in the classroom, on the field, and outside the school doors.