From Campus to the Classroom

Five University of Dayton Student Teachers Embrace NHS

Apartments on the University of Dayton campus. Five student teachers from UD’s School of Education have taken over a Northmont classroom this semester. (Photo courtesy of udayton.uloop.com).

Summer Vickery, Staff Writer

Ms. Laura Condon,

MS. LAURA CONDON

COOPERATING TEACHER: Ms. Rachel Brannon.

SUBJECT: Language Arts.

WHY LANGUAGE ARTS?: I have always loved literature and writing, and the endless directions a language arts teacher can take.

BEFORE I CHOSE TEACHING, I… dreamt of opening a coffee shop and being a wedding planner.

AS A TEACHER, WHAT’S IMPORTANT?: Getting to know each student and helping them understand what is being taught. Viewing your job as an opportunity to help your students prepare for their futures.

FAVORITE MUSIC: Favorite artists are John Mayer, Michael Buble, and Jack Johnson.

Ms. Christen Martins,

MS. CHRISTEN MARTINS

COOPERATING TEACHERS: Mr. Wiliam Patrizio and Mr. Aron Zender.

SUBJECT: Science.

WHY SCIENCE?: I have always liked science.

BEFORE I CHOSE TEACHING, I… wanted to be a chemist until my first semester of junior year.

AS A TEACHER, WHAT’S IMPORTANT?: The most important thing about teaching is having a connection with the students. The growth of the students is also an important aspect.

FAVORITE MUSIC: Rock, alternative and punk. Basically anything but country.

Ms. Audrey Martin

MS. AUDREY MARTIN

COOPERATING TEACHER: Mr. Collin Abels.

SUBJECT: Social Studies.

WHY SOCIAL STUDIES?: I have always loved social studies and I took a lot of classes that involved it in college.

BEFORE I CHOSE TEACHING, I… wanted to go to business school to work for a marketing group.

AS A TEACHER, WHAT’S IMPORTANT?: Getting to know the students and letting them know you care.

FAVORITE MUSIC: Country, pop, and rap.

Ms. Kelsey Mason,

MS. KELSEY MASON

COOPERATING TEACHER: Ms. Amy Robinson.

SUBJECT: Math.

WHY MATH?: I always had good math teachers and wanted to be that teacher.

BEFORE I CHOSE TEACHING, I… wanted to be a chef in elementary school.

AS A TEACHER, WHAT’S IMPORTANT?: Being able to adapt to each student’s individual needs.

FAVORITE MUSIC: It depends on the season.

Mr. Dan Durkin

MR. DAN DURKIN

COOPERATING TEACHER: Mr. Ross Kincaid.

SUBJECT: History.

WHY HISTORY?: I loved history in high school and there are so many areas, eras, and events that can be focused on.

BEFORE I CHOSE TEACHING, I…  wanted to be a lawyer or an engineer.

AS A TEACHER WHAT’S IMPORTANT?: Engaging with the kids and being active with the class.

FAVORITE MUSIC: Rock.