Muse at the Museum

Senior Emily Hamant Stars at the Boonshoft

Senior+Emily+Hamant+in+her+Harry+Potter+themed+uniform+at+the+Boonshoft+Museum+of+Discovery.+

Senior Emily Hamant in her Harry Potter themed uniform at the Boonshoft Museum of Discovery.

Alexis Crawford, Staff Writer

Museums may be boring to some, but to others, they are interesting and inspiring. Especially to those who work there.

For senior Emily Hamant, this is definitely the case. With total inspiration from the children she works with, Hamant enjoys her job at the Boonshoft Museum of Discovery, located on Deweese Parkway in Dayton.

For Hamant, there are many different jobs to be done at the local museum.

“When I work there, I [do] a lot of paperwork, clean a lot, watch kids during transition times, like at lunch,” said the Boonshoft employee.

Hamant also works at the summer camps held at the museum, including Harry Potter, Star Wars, and Minecraft camps.

Hamant was attracted to the Boonshoft because she had always went there as a young girl.

“When I was a kid, I went to a lot of camps. There was a leadership camp [to volunteer there] and I went,” said Hamant. “It’s a part of my life and it keeps on going.”

Hamant has also grown to love what the job has to offer. She has found many aspects that keep her loving her job and always on her toes.

“Working with kids is so fun. They have a positive outlook on life,” said Hamant. “I [also] like the staff and I like setting up for camps and tearing it down. That’s when you really get to connect with everyone.”

It is clear that the job is exciting and always has something new to offer. To volunteer, students must be at least 14 and in the first year of high school, though this may be changing soon. Applications may be submitted by students that are at least sixteen or older.

With one of Northmont’s very own students working at the Boonshoft, we have significant insight to what is really there.

“We have a zoo, astronomy department, trash and recycle center, biomes, pizza kitchen, tree house, and education exhibits,” said Hamant, whose favorite part of the museum is the education department.

For high school students, it is clear museums aren’t just for visiting.