The student news site of Northmont High School

The Thunder

The Thunder

The Thunder

Thank you Sponsors!
EL TORO
Search this site:

Argentinian President Calls Colombian President a “Terrorist Murderer”

Tensions Rise Between Argentina and Colombia After Milei Calls Petro a “Terrorist Murderer” in a CNN Interview
On the left, Colombian President Gustavo Petro, on the right, Argentinian President Javier Milei. Credit to CNN.

In an interview with CNN on April 1, 2024, Argentinian President Javier Milei called Colombian President Gastavo Petro a “terrorist murderer.”  The two countries were known to have an alliance with each other, and in a joint statement on Sunday, March 26, 2024, the two countries foreign ministries said they had held “talks under orders from Milei and Colombian President Gustavo Petro,” according to CNN.  “The respective governments have taken concrete steps to overcome any differences and strengthen this relationship,” the joint statement said on Sunday, March 31.  

In the same CNN interview in which Milei caused ties between Colombia, which aired on March 26, he called Mexican President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador “ignorant.”  Last Thursday, the Mexican President fired back on a social media post saying he didn’t know why Argentinians “voted for someone who is not right, who despises the people.”  Venezuela’s socialist President Nicolas Maduro chimed in, a CNN en espanol article previously reported, criticizing Milei’s election win in November of last year, saying the “neo-Nazi extreme right” had won power in Argentina.  “You can’t expect much from someone who was a terrorist murderer,” Milei said in his CNN interview on March 26.  As of April 3, 2024, Milei is trying to fix his relations with the nations he insulted.

Argentinian President Javier Milei. Credit to the Wall Street Journal.