The student news site of Northmont High School

The Thunder

The Thunder

The Thunder

Thank you Sponsors!
Search this site:

South Carolina Beats Iowa in the National Championship

On Sunday April 7th the South Carolina Gamecocks Beat the Iowa Hawkeyes in the NCAA Women’s National Championship.
Picture from CNN
Iowa guards Gabbie Marshall (left) and Caitlin Clark (right) pictured at the end of the game against South Carolina.

On April 7th, 2024 the South Carolina Gamecocks beat Caitlin Clark and the Iowa Hawkeyes in the NCAA women’s national championship.

In an article published to CNN Jill Martin writes, “For the third time, the Gamecocks are national champions, defeating Iowa 87-75, completing a perfect 38-0 season and preventing Clark from having the perfect end to her college career” (April 7th).

Scott Thompson also writes about South Carolina’s win in a Fox News article stating that the Gamecocks faced “an early deficit” but were able to come back and get revenge against the Hawkeyes, who knocked them out in the Final Four last year.

In this same article Thompson explains that South Carolina’s other two national championship wins were also under current head coach Dawn Staley. Thompson writes, “The first came in 2017 over Mississippi State, while the latest was two seasons ago in a win over UConn” (April 7th).

Kamilla Cardoso and Coach Dawn Staley hug after the win. (Picture from CNN)

The aforementioned CNN article written by Jill Martin describes how this is the second year in a row the Iowa Hawkeyes have walked away in second place, having lost to LSU last year (April 7th).

At the end of the previously mentioned Fox News article Scott Thompson writes about what will become of Iowa Hawkeyes star Caitlin Clark, stating, “Meanwhile, Clark, putting together one of the best collegiate careers in any sport, is heading to the WNBA Draft” (April 7th).

Jill Martin explains in the previously mentioned CNN article that Kamilla Cardoso, who had a career-high 17 rebounds as well as 15 points for South Carolina at the game on April 7th, is also entering the WNBA draft (April 7th).