The student news site of Northmont High School

The Thunder

The Thunder

The Thunder

Thank you Sponsors!
TVM TRUCKING
Search this site:

Portland Oregon Teachers Have ad Enough.

Portland Oregon Public School Teachers Have Gone On Strike November 1st With No New Agreement With The School District.
Photo+from
Photo from

Teachers in Portland Oregon have been fed up for months with compensation, student discipline, class size and the use of school resources to provide housing for students experiencing homelessness. November 1st started their strive for change when they went on strike forcing school to be closed. After a proposal was made from the school that did not meet their expectations.

This strike is affecting many people including teachers, and students.

According to Chris Boyette at CNN Portland Public Schools – one of the largest school districts in the Pacific Northwest – has more than 49,000 students across its 81 schools, according to the district’s website. The union represents more than 4,000 certified educators in the district, according to its Facebook page” (November 1st).

Photo from CNN

The school district was working closely with the teachers to come up with a proposal to stop the strike but did not succeed.

According to Chris Boyette at CNN We were told to expect a proposal from the district this afternoon and we had fairly low expectations for this,” the representative said in a video statement posted on Facebook. “And unfortunately, the district’s proposal didn’t even live up to our low expectations” (November 1st).

The negotiations have continued throughout the week with no resolution from the Portland Association of Teachers.

This strike is planned to go on until the negotiations meet the teacher’s expectations of class size, resources, their planning time, planning their lessons, communication with parents, and student discipline.

Schools continue to stay closed on Monday November 6th.