The student news site of Northmont High School

The Thunder

The Thunder

The Thunder

Thank you Sponsors!
JMILLER HANDYMAN
Search this site:

Club Q Shooter Will Plead Guilty

Anderson Lee Aldrich Will Plead Guilty to 74 Counts of Federal Hate Crimes and Gun Crimes for the November 2022 Shooting.
From+CNN
From CNN

In November 19th 2022, Anderson Lee Aldrich started a shooting at Club Q in Colorado Springs killing 5 people. On June 20th, 2023 Alrich was charged with 46 counts of attempted muder totaling over 2000 years in prision. They are now requesting a change in sentencing to avoid a repeated transfer between state and federal custody. The proposed agreement states Aldrich will plead to 74 counts of hate crimes and gun crimes.

In November 2022 Aldrich walked into Club Q and began shooting at dozens of people. He mainly carried out the shooting with an assault-style rifle but also carried a AR-style weapon and a handgun.

According to Andi Babineau and Jeremy Harlan at CNN, “The victims – Daniel Aston, Raymond Green Vance, Kelly Loving, Derrick Rump and Ashley Paugh – were either employees or patrons at Club Q, which attracted customers from different backgrounds and orientations” (January 16).

From CNN

Aldrich is currently serving 5 consecutive life sentences plus an additional 2,208 consecutive years without the possibility of parole at Wyoming State Penitentiary.

According to Andi Babineau and Jeremy Harlan at CNN, “Both parties are requesting a change of plea hearing with an immediate sentencing to avoid repeatedly transferring Aldrich between state and federal custody and creating an undue burden on law enforcement personnel, victims and family members, and Aldrich themself” (January 16).

Prosecutors are not seeking the death sentence for Aldrich.

Club Q was previously a safe haven for the LGBTQ+ community, but now many people don’t believe Club Q is safe anymore after the shooting.

The new court hearing is yet to take place and has not been set yet.