The student news site of Northmont High School

The Thunder

The Thunder

The Thunder

Thank you Sponsors!
MATT CASTRUCCI
Search this site:

Bus of Easter Worshippers Crash

On Thursday March 28th a Bus Full of Easter Worshippers Were Heading to Church When the Bus Crashed Killing Many.
From+CNN
From CNN

On Thursday March 28th a group of Easter pilgrims were on their way to the Zion Christian Church in the town of Moria for an easter conference. While the bus was driving through the Mamatlakala mountain pass between Mokopane and Marken, it drove through the barriers and crashed. 

According to Amy Cassidy and Sarah Dean at CNN, “ The crash claimed the lives of 45 people, and the sole survivor, an eight-year-girl, was airlifted to hospital with serious injuries, the South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) reported” (March 29th).

In a statement it is clear that the bus driver lost control of the vehicle and fell onto the rocky surface at least 50 meters under the bridge and caught fire. Efforts are being made currently to recover the various victims of the crash and return them to their families.

Photo from CNN

According to Amy Cassidy and Sarah Dean at CNN, “Some bodies burned beyond recognition, the local department said. Others are “trapped inside the debris and others [are] scattered on the scene, it added” (March 29th).

Just before the day before the crash, the South African government called people to be extra careful on Thursday and Friday traveling because of the high expected volumes of traveling.

According to Amy Cassidy and Sarah Dean at CNN the state broadcaster had made a statement following the crash, “I am sending my heartfelt condolences to the families affected by the tragic bus crash near Mamatlakala. Our thoughts and prayers are with you during this difficult time. We continue to urge responsible driving at all times with heightened alertness as more people are on our roads this Easter weekend”(March 29th).

The crash is still under investigation.