The student news site of Northmont High School

The Thunder

The Thunder

The Thunder

Thank you Sponsors!
JOYTIME HOCKEY CAMP
Search this site:

The WNBA Draft Took Place on April 15th

Many new Players Were Drafted Into the WNBA in New York on April 15th.
Picture from CNN
Caitlin Clark pictured next to the WNBA commissioner Cathy Engelbert after being the No.1 overall pick.

Players like Caitlin Clark and Kamilla Cardoso were all selected by WNBA teams at the draft on April 15, 2024.

In a CNN article written by Coy Wire, Jill Martin, and Ben Morse, it is explained that Caitlin Clark was picked No.1 overall by the Indiana Fever after helping to attract huge audiences, in both person and on TV, in her final collegiate season (April 15th).

Following Clark being picked by the Indiana Fever, Matias Grez writes in a separate CNN article that Clark “is especially relishing the chance to team up with Fever forward Aliyah Boston, who was named the unanimous 2023 WNBA Rookie of the Year after also being picked No. 1 in the draft last year” (April 16th).

Kamilla Cardoso poses with Cathy Engelbert, the WNBA commissioner, after being picked by the Chicago Sky at third overall. (Picture from CNN)

In the same article Grez quotes Clark as she mentions that she’s played with Boston before, on the Under-19 Team USA squad (April 16th).

The previously mentioned CNN article written by Wire, Martin and Morse writes, that after Clark was the first pick, Cameron Brink from Stanford was selected No.2 overall by the Los Angeles Sparks. The article continues, stating,“The Chicago Sky, selecting third, took Cardoso, while Rickea Jackson of Tennessee went No. 4 to the Sparks. Rounding out the top five, the Dallas Wings selected Ohio State’s Jacy Sheldon” (April 15th).