The Thunder

• November 25T-Bolt Word of the Week ..... "Bread" .... It's time to work... let's get this bread"

• November 25"I get all my fake news from the Thunder" - Donald Trump

• November 25Feel the Thunder... Read the Thunder (If you had a news site, we would read it)

• November 25"You must see the good in others to get the good in others" - Ghandi

Yoga Studio Shooting

Gunman with History of Violence Towards Women Opens Fire on a Small Yoga Studio in Florida

Back to Article
Back to Article

Yoga Studio Shooting

Taylor Shively, Staff Writer

Just six days after 46-year old Robert D. Bowers killed 11 people at a synagogue in Pittsburg, 40-year old Scott Paul Beierle walked int0 a yoga studio in Tallahassee, Florida and opened fire.

Beierle walked in with a black bag and acted as though he was a customer at the studio before opening fire on the studio which held around a dozen people. He ended up shooting six people, 2 of them died from their injuries.

The victims of the shooting include Florida State University student Maura Binkley, 21, and 61-year-old Nancy Van Vessem, a local physician and a faculty member at Florida State.

Police arrived 3-minutes after the first 9-1-1 call, but by that time seven people were shot, includng Beierle.

Upon further investigation, it was uncovered that Beierle had been arrested twice before. Once in 2012 and once in 2014. The first arrest was made because two women accused him of assaulting them on campus. The second arrest was made because of trespassing.

Not only that but shortly after the 2014 arrest he made a series of youtube videos under a different name speaking of his hatred of women. Even after he was arrested in 2012 for assault, he continued to assault women. In 2016 he was re-arrested for assaulting a 19-year old women at a pool.

What happened in Florida and what continues to happen around the world was tragic and needs to come to an end. Each shooting sparks new topics and debates on gun-violence, but not many changes have been made.

Following the shooting, a crowd stood outside the shopping center late into the night, many in tears.

About the Writer
Taylor Shively, Staff Writer

Taylor Shively is a junior in her third year of journalism. She enjoys spending time with her family and friends. Other than working at Larosas, you can...