The student news site of Northmont High School

The Thunder

The Thunder

The Thunder

Thank you Sponsors!
JOYTIME HOCKEY CAMP
Search this site:

Ryan Gosling Performance of “I’m Just Ken”

Special Guest Helps Perform
Photo taken from Rolling Stone

On March 10, 2024, Ryan Gosling performed his hit song “I’m Just Ken” from the Barbie soundtrack, at the Oscars with a special guest appearing. 

According to Zack Sharf from a Variety article, “ ‘I’m Just Ken’ was one of two songs from ‘Barbie’ that earned a nomination for best original song. Billie Eilish’s “What Was I Made For?” was the other” (Mar 10, 2024).

Taken from Variety

During the Oscars, and before the performance, Simu Liu, Gosling’s co-star in the Barbie movie, told the audience to turn on their phone lights and to sing along to the performance. According to the same article by Zack Sharf, “Gosling, bathed in purple lighting and wearing a sparkling pink suit and pink gloves, started singing “I’m Just Ken” while in the audience sitting behind Margot Robbie, who couldn’t help but laugh. He then made his way to the stage, where he was joined by Mark Ronson on guitar and a handful of backup dancers”. Another surprise to listeners and watchers of the performance is the surprise entrance of Slash from the widely popular band Guns n’ Roses. 

“I’m Just Ken” is one only one song from the Barbie soundtrack, the other being Billie Eilish’s “What Was I Made For?”, which is also one of the biggest hits 2023. According to Jocelyn Brumbaugh from WISN, “ ‘What Was I Made For?’ debuted at No. 34 on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 chart, eventually peaking at No. 14” (Mar 10, 2024). Also saying “ ‘What Was I Made For?’ won the Academy Award for Best Original Song on Sunday night.”