The student news site of Northmont High School

The Thunder

The Thunder

The Thunder

Thank you Sponsors!
MELISSA MACLEAN INSURANCE
Search this site:

Manchester Derby Mayhem

City Come out Victorious
Michael Hagerty
Taken from Abner Fletcher from the Houston Public Media.

On the 3rd of March, 2024, the one hundred and ninety-second Manchester Derby took place in Manchester, England. And this one was definitely one you didn’t want to miss.

What Is A Manchester Derby?:

A Manchester Derby is a game against two of the Premier Leagues most famous teams or clubs, Manchester City and Manchester Derby. The Manchester Derby is always an anticipated game of the season. Other rival derbys such as the North London Derby between Tottenham Hotspur and Arsenal are also big games and are always exciting to watch.

Game Details:

After a most beautiful goal by Marcus Rashford from outside the box for United in the eighth minute, City came back to win the game after Phil Foden scored one beautiful goal outside the box as well in the fifty-sixth minute and another just 10 minutes before regular time ended. Erling Haaland, the star of the club, scored the other goal making it 3-1 to City (Reuters on ESPN, March 3rd, 2024).

Phil Foden, City youth (#47), providing the goal to tie the game, inspiring an inevitable victory for the team (Photo taken from ESPN).

Maybe Not So Bad For United?:

Though this Manchester Derby was won by City pretty clearly, a United fan can at least be happy that the scoring wasn’t as bad as City’s win against the Red Devils back in 2022. During that game, City destroyed United in a 6-3 win, absolutely humiliating them. Phil Foden and Erling Haaland both scored hat tricks and destroyed them (ESPN, May 16, 2023). In an article by Dave Hyter on The Guardian, he said, “At least it was not another abject humiliation. That was the crumb of comfort from the Manchester United point of view (March 3rd, 2024).