Yoga Studio Shooting

Gunman with History of Violence Towards Women Opens Fire on a Small Yoga Studio in Florida

Taylor Shively, Staff Writer

Just six days after 46-year old Robert D. Bowers killed 11 people at a synagogue in Pittsburg, 40-year old Scott Paul Beierle walked into a yoga studio in Tallahassee, Florida and opened fire.

Beierle walked in with a black bag and acted as though he was a customer at the studio before opening fire in the studio which held around a dozen people. He ended up shooting six people, 2 of which died from their injuries.

The victims of the shooting include Florida State University student Maura Binkley, 21, and 61-year-old Nancy Van Vessem, a local physician and a faculty member at Florida State.

Police arrived 3-minutes after the first 9-1-1 call, but by that time seven people were shot, includng Beierle.

Upon further investigation, it was uncovered that Beierle had been arrested twice before. Once in 2012 and once in 2014. The first arrest was made because two women accused him of assaulting them on campus. The second arrest was made because of trespassing.

Not only that but shortly after the 2014 arrest he made a series of youtube videos under a different name speaking on his hatred of women. Even after he was arrested in 2012 for assault, he continued to assault women. In 2016 he was re-arrested for assaulting a 19-year old woman at a pool.

What happened in Florida and what continues to happen around the world is tragic and needs to come to an end. Each shooting sparks new topics and debates on gun-violence, but not many changes have been made.

Following the shooting, a crowd stood outside the shopping center late into the night, many in tears.