Ohio State University Party Leads to Destruction of Property

Off Campus Party Causes Property Damage

Sage Armstrong, Staff

On April 18 an off-campus block party at the Ohio State University turned destructive very quickly. This block party is also known as Chitt Fest, an annual celebration at OSU.

This year’s “Chitt Fest” drew more than a thousand students to the two-block radius of Chittenden Avenue between High and Summit streets, resulting in a riot with countless displays of vandalism and endangering behavior.

Hundreds of students were in the streets. At least five cars were flipped over and several more had smashed out windows. About 30 police cruisers made their way down the street to break up the crowds around 3 a.m. Sunday.

“Last night’s property destruction and willful disregard for safety just off-campus are unacceptable. Ohio State will work with local law enforcement to identify and hold responsible any students who took part.” Stated the university’s communication director, Ben Johnson according to  2 News. Johnson then continued the email by saying “In a normal year, such behavior is appalling and dangerous. In a pandemic, the risk is even higher. Students should not be gathering in large groups and should be wearing masks and maintaining a physical distance.” 

Johnson encouraged students to cooperate with police and to continue following safety and health regulations.

Other university leaders like President Kristina Johnson and Senior Vice President for Student Life Melissa Shivers took to Twitter and email to condemn the events and behavior that took place.

“The destructive behavior that took place in the off-campus area last night is truly upsetting and disappointing. Not only was property destroyed, but harm could have come to other students. @OhioState will be working with CPD to identify & address the behaviors of those involved.” Tweeted Shivers.

President Johnson also tweeted “Last night’s behavior and destruction of property just off campus are unacceptable, and for our students who were involved, this does not represent who we are as Buckeyes.”

The city street sweepers had to remove the remaining alcohol cans and trash that were left behind.

All of the flipped cars were towed away, according to police.