The student news site of Northmont High School

The Thunder

The Thunder

The Thunder

Thank you Sponsors!
MELISSA MACLEAN INSURANCE
Search this site:

Lewiston Shooting Claims the Lives of Many

A shooting that took place in a bowling alley and restaurant claimed the lives of at least 18 people.
Image from CNN

On Thursday, October 27th, a mass shooting occurred at a bowling alley and restaurant in Lewiston, Maine that took the lives of 18 people and injured 13 more. Law enforcement started a manhunt for the shooter, Robert Card, which lasted for 48 hours and ended with Robert ending his own life with a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head. His body was found around the Androscoggin River in Lisbon Falls area, nearly ten miles away from Lewiston.

According to CNN.com, law enforcement says “Card is a certified firearms instructor and a member of the US army reserve. Card had recently made threats to carry out a shooting at a National Guard facility in Saco, Maine, and also reported mental health issues, including hearing voices, the officials said.”

Image from CNN

The manhunt created fear and unrest in the community, with the local news stations saying that Robert should be considered armed and dangerous. Civilians were told to stay inside, lock all doors and windows, and to call the police if they see anything. Schools in the area also closed in order to protect students and staff during the tragedy. Superintendent Phil Potenzaino said “Due to the devastating impact this event has had on our staff, students, and families, as well as our community’s safety, I decided to close school for students and all staff again on Friday, October 27. On Monday, October 30, the Brunswick School Department will have a two (2) hour delay of school.” In an announcement to students, families, and staff. 

The shootings started around 7pm at Sparetime Recreation, a bowling alley on Mollison Way, and progressed to Schemengees Bar & Grille Restaurant on Lincoln Street. The amount of injuries caused by the shootings is currently unknown, and the loss has impacted many families.