The student news site of Northmont High School

The Thunder

The Thunder

The Thunder

Thank you Sponsors!
NEXT LEVEL
Search this site:

Kylian Mbappé Transfer Rumors

Madrid and Liverpool Targets the Star
Taken from Britannica.

Kylian Mbappé has recently been linked to a possible move from PSG (Paris Saint-Germain), his current club. Mbappé is linked with many teams but the 2 biggest teams are Liverpool (English Premier League) and possibly Real Madrid (LaLiga). According to Forbes Kylian Mbappé is worth about $120 million dollars and is one of the highest paid athletes in the world. Because of his high worth, any team looking to acquire Mbappé will need to offer a healthy sum of money to both him and PSG. 

According to an article by Matthew Cooper published on January 15th, “Mbappe was widely expected to leave PSG this summer when his contract expires, having informed the club in June last year that he was not planning to extend his current deal. The 25-year-old has come close to joining Real twice and the La Liga giants had hoped they would finally be able to sign him this year” (Mirror). Madrid is the most likely team to acquire the French star due to not only their wealth but the fact that the players that would accompany him on the field, should he sign for Madrid, would work perfectly. Madrid’s center field is one of the best with Luka Modric, Edward Camavinga, and Madrid’s most recent signing, the very talented Jude Bellingham, who is making his mark on the team already. Madrid also have another world class player in Vinícius júnior, who would work perfectly with Mbappé.

In the same article, Cooper says, “Liverpool have also been linked with Mbappe and ESPN reported earlier this month that Anfield (Liverpool’s stadium) and the Bernabeu (Real Madrid’s stadium) were the forward’s ‘most likely destinations should he opt to leave the French capital’”. Liverpool are a strong option for the striker as they are one of England’s best teams. They also have stars that would help Mbappé fulfill his potential like Mohammad Salah who plays on the wing, and newly signed midfielder Alexis Mac Allister who could greatly assist Mbappé.  

Nasser Al Khelaïfi, Paris Saint-Germain President (Taken from the PSG website).

The idea of Mbappé continuing his career at PSG should not be overlooked either. According to the same ESPN article mentioned by Cooper, Nasser Al Khelaïfi, the PSG president, said, “Look, I am not trying to hide anything. I want Kylian Mbappé to stay at PSG. He’s the best player in the world and the best club for him is PSG,” he also said, “He is central to our project” (January 9th). PSG clearly want him to stay, this leaves the decision completely up to Mbappé as in the end it is his career.