The student news site of Northmont High School

The Thunder

The Thunder

The Thunder

Thank you Sponsors!
JOYTIME HOCKEY CAMP
Search this site:

California Rainfall Tears Through California

Heavy Rainfall in California has Unleashed Mass Chaos
Image from The Guardian

On Monday, February 5th, the state of California began to undergo a massive atmospheric river disaster. This disaster triggered many road closures and water rescues. Over 16 million people are under a high risk of rainfall warning, with downtown Los Angeles receiving nearly 75% of it’s annual rainfall. At least 9 lives have been claimed since the beginning of the disaster.

Image from the Los Angeles Times

One of the victims was a man in Sacramento county named Chad Ensey, who was 41. He was crushed by a tree and died of blunt force injuries. Another victim was 45-year-old Robert Brainard III, who died after a tree fell into his house. 82-year-old David Gomes was found dead beneath a redwood tree that had fallen in his backyard. A 90-year-old woman in Los Osos died after the power went out at her home. Her name has not yet been announced but she was in hospice care and dependent on oxygen. 

According to the Los Angeles Times, a 69-year-old man died after losing control of his truck in Yucaipa, sending it into an embankment that submerged part of the vehicle, according to the California Highway Patrol. The San Bernardino man was taken to a hospital, where he died of his injuries. His identity wasn’t immediately available. (February 7th)

According to poweroutage.us, more than 200,000 California customers are without power due to the disaster (February 7th). During the storm, there have been at least 275 mudslides which covered the streets in mud, trees, and other debris that are going to require strenuous clean up.