The student news site of Northmont High School

The Thunder

The Thunder

The Thunder

Thank you Sponsors!
TVM TRUCKING
Search this site:

Rabbi Calls all Jewish Students at Columbia University to “Return Home Immediately,”

A Rabbi at Columbia University has Called all Jewish Students to Return Home After Anti-Semitic Protests
Anti-Semitism protesting. Credit to ADL.

On Monday April 22, 2024, Anti-Semitic protests at Columbia University and other schools started to escalate.  The most convincing idea that the protests have started to escalate is that Jewish Passover began the night of the protests on April 22. Throughout the day, CNN news posted news articles updating what was happening on the Columbia University campus.

At the beginning of the day, protests had already started to quickly escalate due to Passover beginning.  But at 6:39 P.M, CNN’s John Towfighi posted an article entitled, “Columbia faculty stage walk-out in solidarity with students,” in which he states that hundreds of people had gathered that afternoon where several members of faculty were giving speeches on how it was wrong for the students protesting Anti-Semitism to be arrested.

Later in the article Towfighi states, “Faculty who spoke denounced university president Minouche Shafik’s decision to authorize the New York Police Department to remove protesters from campus and demanded all legal and disciplinary charges be dismissed and expunged from students’ records.”  According to CNN, The Republican chair of the House Education Committee, Virginia Foxx, sent a letter to the University leaders saying, “Columbia’s continued failure to restore order and safety promptly to campus constitutes a major breach of the University’s Title VI obligations, upon which federal financial assistance is contingent, and which must immediately be rectified.”  In another message sent to the Jewish students at Columbia university by Jewish Rabbi Elie Buecher, he says, “have made it clear that Columbia University’s Public Safety and the NYPD cannot guarantee Jewish students’ safety.” Credit to CNN.

Anti-Israel protests, credit to ADL