Antioch College Lamb Slaughter

A Local Yellow Springs Resident Advocates For Lambs in Recent Awareness Of Their Fate

Lambs Are Friend Not Food, Don’t Slaughter Them.

Maren Rieben, Staff Writer

Dayton Daily News, says that a local college in Yellow Springs, Ohio started a curriculum that operates a small farm. They started this program to teach students to understand “what it truly takes to feed a community, especially in an ecologically sound, ethical manner,” according to Christine Reedy, the college’s assistant director of communications.

“Our farm is a learning laboratory, and students from across the curriculum use the farm in their courses, from environmental science to art to philosophy.” Says Reedy. A resident in Yellow Springs, David Nibert, participated in a walk of the Antioch College and when they came to the farm part of the college, Nibert found out about the poor Lambs fate. They were to be slaughtered soon. The college has decided that the “use and impending death of the lambs is hailed by the college as a lesson in the production of “real” food.” David Nibert, being a vegetarian, did not like this idea at all. Especially being the lambs, not the full grown sheep.

He decided to do something. He asked the college president,  instead of slaughtering them if he could take it upon himself to find a place for them instead of them being slaughtered. The answer was no. He still continued to fight. He shared his opinion and thoughts “We know that raising animals for food is a leading cause of climate change,” Nibert said. “Antioch has always been on the cutting edge of justice. They should be leading the way for the global transition to a plant-based diet. They shouldn’t be teaching these young people that this is good and noble.” Nibert is still fighting, but the college is not being very open to change. Nibert found a poster hooked to the fence, took a picture, and posted it online.

It is still unknown what the fate of the Antioch Lambs will be, but Nibert will continue fighting for their cause.

According to the Ministry of Agriculture, in a 9-year summary of mortality at Spooner research station, Berger (1997) reported that, on average, 9.9% of lambs born die before weaning. The range of mortality between years was 5.6%-15%. The average litter size per year ranged from 1.96-2.36.