Let the Debate Begin!

Students Duke it Out with Words on Thursdays

Rebekah Peter, Co-Editor-in-Chief

On top of all of the clubs already here, a group of students have started a new club for the 2014-2015 school year.

“Shelby Hulett was the one who suggested the debate club and got it approved by administration,” said junior John Bates.

Hulett, who is now homeschooled, is still allowed to participate in the club, but could not be reached for comment.

Students can look forward to an experienced adviser.

“I was asked by a student to be the adviser and I thought it was a really good idea because it’s something I hadn’t really thought of here. When I was in college I did a lot of activities. I was a pre-law major so I did a lot of arguing and things like that,” said history teacher Mr. David Jones.

The new club started meeting in October and make an effort to meet every week to battle it out with words.

“We meet every week and try to pick a topic that may be controversial and divide into sides and just go back and forth in a debate about it. In the future, we would like to actually compete against other schools, but since this is our first year it’s kind of difficult to get started that quickly, so right now we are just trying to have fun with it and debate, trying to improve what we are doing and stuff like that,” said senior Sam Blizzard.

Anyone who likes to argue can join this club.

“A lot of people have very strong opinions on different topics. Some topics will interest people a lot, some won’t interest them at all, but will be something that I think that students who have very strong opinions on different issues, it’s a good activity for them,” said Jones.

The debate club meets Thursdays after school from 3 to 3:45. Everyone is welcome to come to the meetings.