The student news site of Northmont High School

The Thunder

The Thunder

The Thunder

Thank you Sponsors!
JMILLER HANDYMAN
Search this site:

TROLL SIGHTING

Goblin Creature Sighted at the Emmys. Where did it Come From?
Getty Images
The Goblin in line with other stars.

On January 17th, at the Emmys, there was a troll spotted on the red carpet that evening. That goblin who was seen at the 75th Emmy Awards was Drag Queen Princess Poppy from season 15 of “RuPaul’s Drag Race”. RuePaul’s Drag Race is a competition show where people dress up in drag and compete to get their name in recognition with the media and to gain a following. They compete to earn not only fame, but various cash prizes.

Poster for RuPaul’s Drag Race. (Rotten Tomatoes)

According to AJ Willingham who is a reporter from CNN, spoke with Princess Poppy that evening, “Mainly I wanted to be a troll-slash-hag. I wanted to be so shocking that you just have to turn and look at me — in the worst way possible.” (Jan 17.) When she first started performing, she felt a great deal of pressure to always look gorgeous, but that isn’t her style (Willingham, CNN, Jan 17.) Most people dress up very fancy for award show events, but this approach is one that no one had seen before. From Emily St. Martin, who is a writer for the Los Angeles Times, she reports, “Christina Ricci approached the “Emmys goblin” earlier in the evening and joked, “Oh, that’s disgusting.” (Jan 15.)

Princess Poppy in her troll garb. (Mark Von Holden)

This was exactly the kind of reaction Princess Poppy wanted. “I wanted to be a troll, to literally and figuratively troll the Emmys.” (Willingham, CNN, Jan 17.) This drag queen feels that she doesn’t want to be the biggest celebrity, she wants to be known for her weird and outlandish makeup creations that she creates.