The student news site of Northmont High School

The Thunder

The Thunder

The Thunder

Thank you Sponsors!
CAFE 19
Search this site:

Luke Fleurs Murdered in Africa

Kaizer Chiefs Star Shot in Armed Robbery
Taken from Goal

On April 3rd of 2024, Luke Fleurs, a professional soccer player for the Kaizer Chiefs, was shot dead in an attempted car robbery in Johannesburg, South Africa.

According to Jenny Hill from BBC, “In a statement, police said that the six suspects were arrested in Soweto on Wednesday morning. The police say they believe the ‘suspects are part of a syndicate that is responsible for car hijackings’ in the Gauteng province”(Apr 10th, 2024). In the same BBC article, Hill states that, “Mr Fleurs was waiting to be attended to at the petrol station when he was approached by unknown gunmen, who ordered him to get out of the vehicle, authorities say” and also saying that, “The police said one of the suspects then shot him once on the upper body” (Apr 10th, 2024).

Picture of Luke Fleurs (Taken from CBS News)

According to an article from CBS News, police spokesman Mavela Masondo said that, “Police have arrested six suspects for the alleged hijacking and murder,” and according to that same article by CBS News, “Masondo said the arrests were made early on Wednesday in Johannesburg southwestern township of Soweto — two days after detectives recovered Fleurs’s car”(Apr 10th, 2024). 

According to the previously mentioned article by Jenny Hill from BBC, “Kaizer Chiefs, one of South Africa’s most popular clubs and 12-time league champions, described his death as ‘tragic’. Hill also said that, “Mr Fleurs joined Kaizer Chiefs last year, having previously played for SuperSport United,” and then, “The former Under-23 international represented South Africa at the Tokyo Olympics in 2021”(Apr 10th, 2024).