The student news site of Northmont High School

The Thunder

The Thunder

The Thunder

Thank you Sponsors!
M-POWER GYM
Search this site:

Premier League Title up for Grabs

City and Arsenal Fighting for Glory

As of now, May 13th, 2024, Manchester City and Arsenal are the only two title contenders as it is mathematically impossible for any other club to win even if City and the Gunners lose all their games. Pep Guardiola’s City Blues and Mikel Arteta’s Gunners have two more games left in the season, City has Tottenham Spurs away on the fourteenth of May, and West Ham United at home on the nineteenth of May. Arsenal have one more game against Everton at home on the nineteenth as well. 

According to The Associated Press on NBC News, “The Premier League title race will go to the last day of the season after Arsenal returned to the top of the standings with a 1-0 win at Manchester United on Sunday” (May 12th, 2024). Also saying, “Leandro Trossard struck in the 20th minute at Old Trafford to ensure Arsenal will take defending champion Manchester City to the final round of games next Sunday.”

Leandro Trossard (front) and Kai Havertz (back) celebrate after the goal that won the game in the 20th minute (Sporting News).

According to Brad Cox on Sporting News, “Since their wobbly spell in November and early December, City have gone 33 games unbeaten in all competitions after their defeat at Villa Park. City will host West Ham United on the final day of the season but have not lost to the Hammers since 2015” (May 12th, 2024). Also saying, “The fact that the Gunners could finish second despite dropping just five points in 2024 is not only a testament to City’s domination but also a reminder that to win the title in this Guardiola era, you cannot allow that to happen. Arsenal fans will once again be saying ‘If only we won there or didn’t draw here,’ and that’s the harsh reality of going up against this well-oiled winning machine the City Football Group have created.”