Golden Globe Winners

The Winners and Nominees of the Golden Globes

The Golden Globes awards show.
Credit: The Hollywood Reporter

The Golden Globes awards show. Credit: The Hollywood Reporter

Katherine Conner, Staff Writer/Editor

The Golden Globes were held recently at the Beverly Hilton in Beverly Hills, California. The show was aired on NBC on January 10, 2023. These Golden Globes were especially notable, as the academy is trying to recover from a racial exclusion scandal, as the Los Angeles time revealed that none of the 87 Hollywood Foreign Press members were people of color. The Hollywood Foreign Press is a group of people who decided on the winners of each category for the Golden Globes. The academy went about fixing these issues by including more diversity among the members as well as including more media that featured people of color. 

However, the awards still seemed to remain the focus of the night. Included here is a compiled list of all the nominees and winners:

For the Best Motion Picture- Drama, the nominees were Avatar: The Way of Water, Elvis, The Fabelmans, Tar, and Top Gun: Maverick. The award went to The Fabelmans, a story about a young Irishman named Sammy Fabelman who is exploring the world of filmmaking. 

For the category Best Motion Picture- Musical or Comedy, the nominees were Babylon, The Banshees of Inisherin, Everything Everywhere All at Once, Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery, and Triangle of Sadness. The winner was The Banshees of Inisherin. The movie revolves around Padraic and Colm, as Padriac is trying to solve his damaged relationship with Colm, with help from his sister and a troubled young islander.

For the category Best Motion Picture- Non-English Language, the nominees were All Quiet on the Western Front, Argentina 1985, Close, Decisions to Leave, and RRR. The award went to Argentina 1985. The movie is about how a public prosecutor, a young lawyer, and their inexperienced legal team prosecuted the heads of the Argentinian military dictatorship. 

Margot Robbie, Michelle Yeoh, and Sheryl Lee Ralph at the Golden Globes.
Credit: Forbes.com

For the category Best Motion Picture- Animated, the nominees were Guillermo del Toro’s Pinocchio, Inu-Oh, Marcel the Shell With Shoes On, Puss in Boots: The Last Wish, and Turning Red. The winner was Guillermo del Toro’s Pinocchio. The movie is about a puppet maker who wishes to turn one of his pieces into an animated boy in Italy. However, the two have to find a place in Italy as the country becomes embroiled in fascism.

For the category Best Director- Motion Picture, the nominees were James Cameron for Avatar: The Way of Water, The Daniels for Everything Everywhere All at Once, Baz Luhrmann for Elvis, Martin McDonagh for The Banshees of Inisherin, and Steven Speilberg for The Fabelmans. The award went to Stephen Speilberg for his movie The Fabelmans.

For the category Best Screenplay- Motion Picture, the nominees were Todd Field for Tar, The Daniels for Everything Everywhere All at Once, Martin McDonagh for The Banshees of Inisherin, Sarah Polley for Women Talking, and Steven Spielberg and Tony Kushner for The Fabelmans. The winner was Martin McDonagh for The Banshees of Inisherin.

For the category Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture- Drama, the nominees were Austin Butler for his performance in Elvis, Brendan Fraser for his performance in The Whale, Hugh Jackman for his performance in The Son, Bill Nighy for his performance in Living, and Jeremy Pope for his performance in The Inspection. The award went to Austin Butler for his performance in Elvis. The movie is a biopic about the life of Elvis Presley, who was a famous rockstar in the late 1950s. 

Bob Odenkirk, Quinta Brunson, Ke Huy Quan, and Jennifer Coolidge with their Golden Globes.
Credit: The Ringer

For the category Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture- Drama, the nominees were Cate Blanchett for her performance in Tar, Oliva Colman for her performance in Empire of Light, Viola Davis for her performance in The Woman King, Ana De Armas for her performance in Blonde, and Michelle Williams for her performance in The Fabelmans. The winner was Cate Blanchett for her performance in Tar. The movie is about a woman named Lydia Tar who is recording a symphony that will boost her career. As Lydia starts to slip into depression, her adopted daughter Petra becomes a large support system for her.

For the category Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture- Musical or Comedy, the nominees were Diego Calva for Babylon, Daniel Craig for Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery, Adam Driver for White Noise, Colin Farrell for The Banshees of Inisherin, and Ralph Fiennes for The Menu. The award went to Colin Farrell for his performance in The Banshees of Inisherin. This is Farrell’s second Golden Globe. 

For the category, Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture- Musical or Comedy, the nominees were Lesley Manville for Mrs. Harris Goes to Paris, Margot Robbie for Babylon, Ana Taylor-Joy for The Menu, Emma Thompson for Good Luck to You, Leo Grande and Michelle Yeoh for Everything Everywhere All at Once. The winner was Michelle Yeoh for her performance in Everything Everywhere All at Once. The movie is about an interdimensional rupture that causes the main character to shift to different dimensions and try to save the world.

Michelle Yeoh gave her speech after winning Best Actress at the Golden Globes.
Credit: The New York Times

For the category, Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in any Motion Picture, the nominees were Brendan Gleeson for The Banshees of Inisherin, Barry Keoghan for The Banshees of Inisherin, Brad Pitt for Babylon, Ke Huy Quan for Everything Everywhere All at Once, and Eddie Redmayne for The Good Nurse. The award went to Ke Huy Quan for his performance in Everything Everywhere All at Once. This is Huy Quan’s biggest role since starring in The Goonies and Indiana Jones: Temple of Doom as a child. 

For the category, Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in any Motion Picture, the nominees were Angela Bassett for Black Panther: Wakanda Forever, Kerry Condon for The Banshees of Inisherin, Jamie Lee Curtis for Everything Everywhere All at Once, Dolly de Leon for Triangle of Sadness, and Carey Mulligan for She Said. The winner was Angela Bassett for her performance in Black Panther: Wakanda Forever. The movie takes place after the death of T’Challa and the rest of the film follows Shuri, M’Baku, and Okoye as they try to protect Wakanda from invading forces.

For the category Best Original Score- Motion Picture, the nominees were Cater Burwell for The Banshees of Inisherin, Alexandre Desplat for Guillermo del Toro’s Pinocchio, Hildur Gudnadottir for Women Talking, Justin Hurwitz for Babylon and John Williams for The Fabelmans. The award went to Justin Hurwitz for his work on Babylon. Babylon follows several people as they move to Hollywood to pursue their dreams in the 1920s.

For the category Best Original Song- Motion Picture, the nominees were “Carolina” by Taylor Swift for Where the Crawdads Sing, “Ciao Pap” by Alexandre Desplat, Roeban Katz, and Guillermo del Toro for Guillermo del Toro’s Pinocchio, “Hold My Hand” by Lady Gaga, BloodPop, and Benjamin Rice for Top Gun: Maverick, “Lift Me Up” by Tems, Rihanna, Ryan Coogler, Ludwig Goransson for Black Panther: Wakanda Forever, and “Naatu Naatu” by M.M. Keeravani, Kala Bhairava, Rahul Siplingunji for RRR. The winner was “Naatu Naatu” for Black Panther: Wakanda Forever

Austin Butler with his Golden Globe.
Credit: people.com

For the category Best Television Series- Musical or Comedy, the nominees were Abbott Elementary, The Bear, Hacks, Only Murders in the Building, and Wednesday. The award went to Abbott Elementary. Abbott Elementary tales the lives of the teachers in a public school system and their day-to-day life. 

For the category Best Television Series- Drama, the nominees were Better Call Saul, The Crown, House of Dragon, Ozark, and Severance. The winner was House of Dragon, which is a prequel to Game of Thrones. The show chronicles the lives of the Targaryen dynasty. 

For the category Best Performance by an Actor in a Television Series- Drama, the nominees were Jeff Bridges for The Old Man, Kevin Costner for Yellowstone, Diego Luna for Andor, Bob Odenkirk for Better Call Saul, and Adam Scott for Severance. The award went to Kevin Costner for his performance in Yellowstone. Yellowstone follows the Dutton family, who owns the largest ranch in Montana, and the drama revolving around the ranch, the nearby Broken Rock reservation, and the family itself.

For the category Best Performance by an Actress in a Television Series- Drama, the nominees were Emma D’Arcy for House of the Dragon, Laura Linney for Ozark, Imelda Staunton for The Crown, Hilary Swank for Alaska Daily, and Zendaya for Euphoria. The winner was Zendaya for her performance in Euphoria. Euphoria follows a group of teenagers attending high school while trying to balance the stress of school, love, loss, and friendships.

For the category Best Performance by an Actor in a Television Series- Musical or Comedy, the nominees were Donald Glover for Atlanta, Bill Hader for Barry, Steve Martin for Only Murders in the Building, Martin Short for Only Murders in the Building, and Jeremy Allen White for The Bear. The award went to Jeremy Allen White for his performance in The Bear. The Bear is about a young chef who comes back to his family-run restaurant after a death in his family and the day-to-day life of his employees and himself.

Donald Glover at the Golden Globes.
Credit: GQ.com

For the category Best Performance by an Actress in a Television Series- Musical or Comedy, the nominees were Quinta Brunson for Abbott Elementary, Kaley Cuoco for The Flight Attendant, Selena Gomez for Only Murders in the Building, Jenna Ortega for Wednesday, and Jean Smart for Hacks. The winner was Quinta Brunson for Abbott Elementary

For the category Best Performance by a Supporting Actor in a Television Series, the nominees were John Lithgow for The Old Man, Jonathan Pryce for The Crown, John Turturro for Severance, Tyler James Williams for Abbott Elementary, and Henry Winkler for Barry. The award went to Tyler James Williams for his performance in Abbott Elementary

For the category Best Performance by a Supporting Actress in a Television Series, the nominees were Elizabeth Debicki for The Crown, Hannah Einbinder for Hacks, Julia Garner for Ozark, Jannel James for Abbott Elementary, and Sheryl Lee Ralph for Abbott Elementary. The winner was Julia Garner for Ozark. Ozark details a family who is laundering money to the Mexican Drug Cartel.

For the category Best Television Limited Series or Motion Picture Made for Television, the nominees were Black Bird, Dahmer- Monster: The Jeffrey Dahmer Story, The Dropout, Pam & Tommy, and The White Lotus. The award went to The White Lotus, which follows the guests and employees of the fictional White Lotus resort chain whose stay is affected by their various psychosocial dysfunctions.

Selena Gomez at the Golden Globes.
Credit: Vogue.com

For the category Best Performance by an Actor in a Limited Series or Motion Picture Made for Television, the nominees were Taron Egerton for Black Bird, Colin Firth for The Staircase, Andrew Garfield for Under the Banner of Heaven, Evan Peters for Dahmer-Monster: The Jeffery Dahmer Story, and Sebastian Stan for Pam & Tommy. The winner was Evan Peters for his performance in Dahmer-Monster: The Jeffery Dahmer Story, which is a biopic about the famous serial killer Jeffery Dahmer.

For the category Best Performance by an Actress in a Limited Series or Motion Picture Made for Television, Jessica Chastain for George & Tammy, Julia Garner for Inventing Anna, Lily James for Pam & Tommy, Julia Roberts for Gaslit, and Amanda Seyfried for The Dropout. The award went to Amanda Seyfried for her performance in The Dropout. The Dropout is a series about the rise and fall of Elizabeth Holmes and her company, Theranos.

For the category Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Series, Limited Series or Motion Picture Made for Television, the nominees were Jennifer Coolidge for The White Lotus, Claire Danes for Fleishman Is in Trouble, Daisy Edgar-Jones for Under the Banner of Heaven, Nicey Nash for Dahmer-Monster: The Jeffery Dahmer Story, Aubrey Plaza for The White Lotus. The winner was Jennifer Coolidge for her performance in The White Lotus.

And finally, for the category Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in a Series, Limited Series or Motion Picture Made for Television, the nominees were F. Murray Abraham for The White Lotus, Domhnall Gleeson for The Patient, Paul Walter Hauser for Black Bird, Richard Jenkins for Dahmer- Monster: The Jeffery Dahmer Story, and Seth Rogen for Pam & Tommy. The award went to Paul Walter Hauser for his performance in Black Bird. Black Bird is about the story of James Keene, a fallen hero, and his path to redemption and freedom

A compiled list of all the winners and nominees can also be found at EW News. The Oscars will be airing on March 12, 2023. Some people say that the Golden Globes are almost a predictor for Oscar winners. However, it remains to be seen what movies and actors win.